Saturday, January 29, 2011

Circular Discussion?

This is my first humanities class, and I have never had any interest in any sort of humanities other than music. With that being said, this class is exposing me to a whole new world that I quite honestly have never had a desire to enter. But now that I have to enter this new world, I figured I would at least try to get something out of it.
Since this is all new to me, I am still trying to get an understanding of humanities and what it's purpose is. Throughout class discussion I had a few thoughts that made me question if there really is any point to studying humanities, or at least some aspects of it.
As we were talking about Picasso's paintings, Les Demoiselles d'Avignon (the prostitutes) in particular, the class discussion started to go in the direction of questioning whether artists intentionally put very in-depth meaning and symbolism in their work, or if they it is just the audience trying to pull more out of the work than really is there. Sometimes I highly doubt that what we (the audience) think the artist meant is really his/her intent. An example of this would be our class discussion about what Picasso chose the background to be in his painting of the prostitutes. One could make the case that he chose the blue and grey to show that they have a gloomy past, and the the dull fruit represents the prostitutes' potential to live bright colorful lives, but instead that potential to live 'fruitful' lives is gone and their lifestyles are colorless and bland. While that could potentially be what he intended, someone else can just as easily make the case that Picasso did not intend any of those things. It is just as likely that he simply thought it would add nicely to the overall feel of the painting. We will never know what Picasso intended so both ideas are just guesses.

That brings me to my next point... We will never know what the artist intended, so why debate and try to figure out what they meant for the audience to get out of it? We can talk about it endlessly and still never prove on thing or the other.Some artists might paint to satisfy their audience and make a hefty amount of money. Or maybe some artists do not create their works for an audience and use art as an emotional outlet or personal expression. That is yet another question that we can never get a definite answer to. Like we discussed in class, an artist might publicly say they intended one thing, but can you trust them? They could say they meant it to be one thing to satisfy the audience, but in reality what they say could be completely different from what they meant for their work to be.

These thoughts have brought me to the conclusion that since we will never be able to know what the artist meant, there is no point to dig deep and try to figure out exactly what they meant. I feel that art is something that is all about personal preference. It isn't about what the artist meant, it is about the emotion that the art pulls out of you.
Are all discussions about the meaning of artwork pointless and never-ending since we will never find a definite answer?

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you on the point that many times we as the audience over-analyze a piece of art. Maybe we do it because we want it to mean what we see it representing or some other reason, I don't really know for sure. However I wouldn't say that discussing artwork is pointless, even if a definite answer is never reached. Since many of the "great" artists are dead, we are forced to come up with a personal meaning for their work. By discussing the artwork, we open our minds to different interpretations of the topic and can therefore make a more fully sound meaning for ourselves. Or at least that's now I see it. I'm just as new to this stuff as you are so who knows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes i get more clarity about things when i vocalize my thoughts...like saying things out loud makes me choose which of my thoughts are most important to share with others. And in doing that, i often see things differently and more clearly then when they are just floating around in my head. I dig what jack says about about "by discussing the artwork, we open our minds..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had the same thoughts Vance. I keep asking myself how does this help prepare me for life ahead...for my career as a doctor. To bring a little science into it, we have two sides of the brain: the left and the right. The left is more science/math oriented and facts rule on this side of the brain. The right is more arts/philosophy oriented and imagination rules on this side of the brain. I would definitely consider myself more "left brained" if you will, so I guess that discussing the arts helps make us more "whole brained".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also think that discussing art is rather pointless. One person can come up with what they think it means with solid reasons and another person can say it means the opposite and have solid reasons of why. Most, if not all, of the art that we have seen can have many many different meanings. I think that art is meant to be personal and the only thing that matters is what the viewer thinks of it for himself/herself. I believe that a lot of art does have a deeper meaning but I, personally, don't give it much thought because I simply don't care. That being said, I do think the class discussions are at least interesting even if I don't believe I am getting much out of it. But you never know I may be getting more out of it than I realize. I guess we will have to wait and see....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish artists wrote down their thoughts and intentions and posted them with the paintings so they'd actually be possible to understand. I agree that many paintings are over-analyzed. However, after wondering about this for a while, I'm beginning to think that the curiousity raised by the artwork is the reason the painting becomes popular in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely agree with you on this. I feel like we just go in circles trying to "figure out" meanings that don't really matter. We will never know an artists true motives or meanings unless they tell us, and even then, they may not be telling the truth. I feel like there are some creative people that get a lot out of analyzing art, but for us logical people, it is hard to see any reason behind doing so.

    ReplyDelete